It’s always nice to have some fun with side dishes like taking a favourite snack like jalapeno poppers and turning it into a side dish and I did that here with this jalapeno popper potato gratin! What could be better than jalapeno poppers for dinner in the form of a potato gratin? This side is pretty easy to make starting with sliced potatoes, a cheddar cheese and cream cheese cheese sauce (Did you notice the number of times that I said cheese there?), crispy bacon and of course jalapenos that are layered up, topped with even more cheese and then baked until the potatoes are nice and tender and jalapeno popper-y good! This jalapeno popper potato gratin takes a bit of time to make but you can assemble it the day before and bake it when ready or you could bake it the day before and just reheat it when ready to save time when you are making a large meal. Who ever said you can’t have jalapeno poppers for dinner has not tried this jalapeno popper potato gratin! Forget dessert, grab jalapeno popper potato gratin seconds, take it to the couch and chow down when you get back to watching the game after dinner!
Just look at all of that melted cheesy goodness!
Jalapeno Popper Potato Gratin
All of the flavours of jalapeno poppers in a side dish, a potato gratin!
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour (rice flour for gluten-free
- 2 cups milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 jalapenos, thinly sliced
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook the bacon, set aside on paper towels to drain and crumble when cool.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, cook until frothy, sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, until a light golden brown.
- Mix in the milk and simmer, stirring, until it starts to thicken before adding the cream cheese and cheddar cheese and cooking until melted and seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread some of the cheese sauce in the bottom of an 8×13 inch baking pan (or a 10 inch cast iron pan) topped with layers of potatoes, cheese sauce, bacon and sliced jalapenos all finally topped with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the potatoes are tender, the sides are bubbling and the cheese on top is a light golden brown, about 45 minutes.
Option: Use as many or as few jalapenos as desired.
Option: Top with panko breadcrumbs for crispy topping!
Option: Assemble the gratin the day before and just bake on the day of.
Pancetta and Porcini Potato Gratin
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken
Jalapeno Popper Quiche
Jalapeno Popper Pizza
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup
Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs
Cheese Covered, Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Burgers
Jalapeno Popper Corn Fritters
Southwestern Grilled Chicken Jalapeno Popper Salad
Cheesy Slow Cooker Bacon Ranch Potatoes
Butternut Squash and Feta Gratin
Jalapeno Popper Chorizo Cheesecake
Jalapeno and Cheddar Corn Pancakes with Bacon (aka Jalapeno Popper Pancakes)
Jalapeno Popper Skillet Chicken
Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins