Chili is one of my favourite cool weather comfort foods and this one, featuring sweet potatoes and black beans, is perfect for Fall! A chili is a stew consisting of chilies along with other ingredients, commonly meat, beans and other vegetables. This recipe starts out by cooking onions, chipotle chilies in adobo, garlic, cumin and paprika in oil before adding broth, diced sweet potatoes, beans and oregano and simmering until the potatoes are tender. One of the best things about chili is that you can serve it with toppings such as: diced avocado, shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled feta, sour cream, tortilla chips, lime wedges, pepitas, etc.!
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
An easy to make sweet potato and black bean chili, that’s tasty and comforting!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped (or 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or beef broth)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chipotle chilies in adobo, cumin and paprika, and cook, mixing, until fragrant, about 1 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, and oregano, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix in the cilantro.
Option: Replace the sweet potatoes with pumpkin of butternut squash!
Option: Add a diced red bell pepper.
Option: Add a pinch of cinnamon.
Option: Add a pinch of cocoa powder.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon brown sugar.
Option: Add 2 tablespoons masa harina for a thicker broth.
Option: Add 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce.
Option: Puree some on the sweet potato and beans for a thicker broth.
Option: Serve garnished with one or more of: pepitas, cheese, sour cream, avocado, lime, etc.
Slow Braised Chili Con Carne
Black Bean and Quinoa Chili
Squash Chili Mole
Turkey White Chili
White Chicken Chili
Braised Short Rib Ragu
Beef and Black Bean Chili
Buffalo Chicken Chili
Quinoa White Chicken Chili
Beef Barbacoa Tacos
7 Chili Chili
Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
Sweet Potato Soup
Chipotle Sweet Potato Noodle Bowl
Mary Ann says
This looks so good. Have to make this real soon. You are so creative. Bet your house smells good all the time.
Just made this and gotta say it is fantastic! Didn’t change a thing. Will serve with a splash of lime, dollop of Greek yogurt and a side of warm cornbread. Thanks so much.
another winner, especially love chili and love sweet potatoes, so a combo recipe is even better, thank you