This creamy sweet potato soup with smoky chipotle chilies warms the body and the soul; the perfect comfort food! It starts out with onions and a bell pepper for vegetables moving on to garlic, chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, cumin, paprika and oregano for flavour and vegetable broth, tomatoes and the sweet potatoes! Everything is simmered until the sweet potatoes are tender before some of them are pureed into the soup, making it thick and creamy. (I like to leave some of the sweet potato chunks in the soup for the texture but you can also puree them all.) The soup is finished off with a splash of lime juice and fresh cilantro. I like to garnish this chipotle sweet potato soup with crema or sour cream pepitas and crumbled cheese!
Garnish with crispy fried chorizo and salsa macha (chili oil)!
Add quinoa and spinach for a heartier and healthier version!
Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
A smooth and creamy sweet potato soup with a hint of smoky chipotle chilies!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper (red, orange, yellow or green), diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, chopped*
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and bell pepper and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, cumin, and paprika and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, sweet potatoes, diced tomatoes and oregano, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree some or all of the sweet potatoes in the soup before seasoning with lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the cilantro and enjoy!
Option: Garnish with pepitas!
Option: Garnish with cheese: queso fresco, monterey jack, cheddar, feta, etc.
Option: Garnish with crispy fried chorizo sausage!
Option: Garnish with crispy fried bacon!
Option: Add 1 (14 ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed!
Option: Add 1/2 cup of quinoa and an extra cup of broth and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
Option: Add 1/2 cup of lentils and an extra cup of broth and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 15 minutes.
Option: Add 2 cups of chopped baby spinach and the end,. mixing it in and letting it wilt.
Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup
Creamy Brie Sweet Potato Pecan Pie Soup
Sweet Potato Soup
Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup
Pumpkin and Chorizo Soup with Cilantro
Italian Sausage Butternut Squash Soup
Pumpkin, Chorizo and Black Bean Soup
Cajun Sweet Potato Seafood Chowder
Chipotle Sweet Potato Noodle Bowl
Chipotle Sweet Potato and Black Bean Hash with Guacamole
Breakfast Loaded Sweet Potato Fries