I can’t believe that October is almost over and that means that the pumpkins will soon disappear so I wanted to get at least one more pumpkin recipe in and this time it’s a pumpkin soup that is perfect for the cooling weather. Really this soup is just a combination of two of my other favourite pumkin soups the pumpkin and black bean soup and the pumpkin and chorizo soup but despite it’s simplicity it is super tasty! I mean you really cannot go wrong combining pumpkin with black beans and spicy Mexican style chorizo sausage in a warm and hearty soup! This soup has it all, the pumpkin and partially pureed black beans make it nice and thick and creamy, the chorizo sausage and remaining black beans give it a nice hearty texture and the chipotle chilies in abobo make it nice and smoky and give it a healthy amount of spicy heat to keep you warm! This pumpkin, chorizo and black bean soup is a great way to enjoy the last of the pumpkins this season and a great way to keep warm in these cooling days!
This soup goes great with a garnish of pepitas and cilantro!
Pumpkin Chorizo and Black Bean Soup
A pumpkin soup with chorizo sausage, black beans and smoky hot chipotle chili peppers.
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed (omit for vegetarian)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch cinnamon (optional)
- 3 cups chicken broth or chicken stock or ham broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups pumpkin puree or 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (or 1 1/2 cups cooked beans, from 1/2 cup dry)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 chipotle chilis in adobo, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Cook the chorizo in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, about 7-10 minutes, breaking it apart as it cooks and set aside.
- Add the oil and onion, and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin and cinnamon and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the chorizo, broth, pumpkin puree, black beans, diced tomatoes and chipotles, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, mix in the lime juice and cilantro and serve with your favourite garnishes such as avocado, sour cream, cheese, etc.
Option: Use diced ham instead of chorizo.
Option: Puree some or all of the black beans and diced tomatoes for a creamier texture.
Option: Add diced pumpkin and simmer until just tender if you want to be able to sink your teeth into it.
Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup
Pumpkin and Chorizo Soup with Cilantro
Pumpkin and Black Bean Burritos
Pumpkin and Black Bean Quesadillas
Pumpkin and White Bean Turkey Chili with Kale and Pepita Salsa
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos with Swiss Chard Pesto
Chipotle Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quinoa Cakes with Creamy Avocado Sauce
Chipotle Roast Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quinoa Salad
Venezuelan Black Bean and Chorizo Soup