During squash/pumpkin season I fairly often find myself with extras. Having leftover pumpkin is certainly not a problem as I really like it and I enjoy coming up with new ways to use it. This time when I realized that I needed to use that pumpkin in the fridge I had been thinking about texmex flavours and about that open jar of chipotle chilies in adobo sauce that also needed to be used. I thought that some cheesy pumpkin quesadillas would hit the spot. Of course I had to roast the pumpkin to bring out its flavour and I decided to toss it in the chipotle chilies and adobo sauce before roasting it. Other than the pumpkin I went with some pretty standard quesadilla ingredients. The pumpkin quesadillas turned out pretty good! I may have gone a little too heavy on the chipotles but the fiery heat went well with the sweet roasted pumpkin and the gooey melted cheese. I served the quesadillas with some salsa verde for dipping. My texmex flavour cravings have been satisfied for another day. 🙂
- 1 cup pumpkin/squash (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (chopped)
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1 jalapeno (chopped)
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- 2 large tortillas
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (chopped, optional)
- Toss the pumpkin in the oil and chipotle peppers to coat.
- Roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until caramelized, about 30 minutes, tossing after 15 minutes.
- Mix the squash, black beans, jalapeno and green onion.
- Melt a touch of butter in a pan.
- Place a tortilla in the pan and top with the pumpkin mixture, the cheese and the remaining tortilla.
- Fry until both sides are golden brown and the cheese has melted. (Tip: Place a plate on top of the quesadilla in the pan and flip so that it ends up on the plate and then slide it back onto the plate to flip it.)
Squash Chili Mole
Pumpkin and Black Bean Burritos
Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas
Corn and Zucchini Quesadillas
Turkey and Cranberry Quesadillas
Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup
Roast Beef Quesadillas
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos with Swiss Chard Pesto
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas with Swiss Chard Pesto
Pumpkin Chorizo and Black Bean Soup