Pumpkins are definitely in season now and I have been roasting them up to make and freeze
for later. When I came across the idea of a
pumpkin and black bean soup
gimme some oven
I diverted some of my pumpkin puree from the freezer and into making the soup. I have enjoyed the sweet pumpkin and creamy black bean combo in several other dishes in the past so I knew that this soup would be a winner. This pumpkin and black bean soup is a pretty standard vegetable soup that is nice and easy and focuses on the pumpkin and black beans. The soup is seasoned with some texmex flavours including some smoky chipotle chili powder for some heat and some cumin and cilantro to round it out. I was looking for a lighter soup so I went with a vegetarian version but you could easily make this soup a little heartier by adding cubed cooked ham or bacon, both of which would also add a ton of flavour. One of the things that I like about soups like this is that you can easily control how thick or thin the soup is by controlling how much broth you use and how much you puree the soup. I made my soup nice and thick and I increased the amount of chili powder for some extra heat which went perfectly with the sweet pumpkin. I garnished the soup with some fresh chopped cilantro and
chipotle toasted pumpkin seeds
Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon cumin (toasted and ground)
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth or chicken stock
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/4 cup dry Sherry (or dry white wine)
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped, optional)
- 1 handful toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, pumpkin, black beans, tomatoes and sherry and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree to the desired consistency.
- Serve garnished with cilantro and toasted pumpkin seeds.