Whenever I roast pumpkins to make pumpkin puree I save the seeds to make toasted pumpkins seeds with! Pumpkin seeds are such a great snack and they are so easy to make! You simply save the pumpkin seeds, rinse them and let them dry before tossing them in butter or oil along with seasonings and roasting them! It’s that easy! Once you have the basics down it’s time to play around with flavours and seasoning! Simple salt and pepper seasoned pumpkins seeds are fabulous but it’s nice to try different seasonings! One of my favourites includes: smoked paprika, cumin, and garlic in addition to the salt and pepper. Yum!
Before and after:
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
Super easy homemade toasted pumpkin seeds! The perfect fall snack!
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds, cleaned and dried
- 1 tablespoon oil or melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- Toss the pumpkin seeds in oil and salt.
- Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until golden brown, about 10-20 minutes. They may start to pop but it is ok.
Tip: Rinse the seeds in a strainer and then pat dry with towels and a lot of the remaining strings will get stuck to the towels.
Tip: Spread the seeds on a baking sheet overnight to dry completely before roasting.
Option: The seasonings here are just a tasty example! Use your favourite seasonings! Experiment! Have fun! Enjoy!
Note: Roast times will vary depending on the size of the seeds where the smaller the seeds are the less time they will take, so keep an eye on them!
Tip: You can roast the seeds of acorn squash, butternut squash, etc. exactly the same as pumpkin seeds!