Creamy chicken and white bean chili is one of my favourites and in the fall I enjoy adding pumpkin to the mix! Chili is a stew with chili peppers and other ingredients, often meat, beans, and/or veggies. This chili uses smoky chipotle chili peppers in adobo which pair particularly well with the pumpkin! Other than the pumpkin, this is a pretty basic chili with chicken, beans, broth, tomatoes, onions, garlic, paprika, cumin, and oregano. Although you can do it without, I like a creaminess to this chili and it comes from the addition of cream cheese, which also adds it’s amazing flavour! Because of the pumpkin in the chili, I like to add a hint of cinnamon spice and warmth! The chili is finished off with a splash of lime juice and fresh chopped cilantro and I like to serve it garnished with pepitas, avocado, cilantro, green onions, sour cream and shredded white cheddar cheese!
Pumpkin and White Bean Chicken Chili
A tasty fall take on creamy chicken and white bean chili with pumpkin!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-4 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped (or 1-2 tablespoons chipotle chili powder)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (1 15 ounce can)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 ounces cream cheese, warmed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (optional)
- salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chilies, paprika, cumin and cinnamon and cook, mixing, until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, pumpkin puree, beans, tomatoes, chicken and oregano, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, slice or shred and return to the pot.
- Mix the cream cheese in and let it melt into the broth.
- Add the lime juice and cilantro before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste!
Option: Use turkey instead of chicken.
Option: Replace chipotle chilis in adobo, paprika and tomatoes with 2 roasted and diced poblanos, 2 roasted and diced jalapenos and 1 cup salsa verde for green/verde version!
Option: Use milk, cream, coconut milk, sour cream or plain yogurt instead of the cream cheese.
Option: Add corn or other veggies.
Option: Garnish with your favourite chili toppings, such as avocado, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, onions, green onions, pepitas, etc.
Option: Use cooked chicken (such as rotisserie) and reduce the simmer time to 10 minutes to save time!
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Quinoa White Chicken Chili
Pumpkin and White Bean Turkey Chili with Kale and Pepita Salsa
Turkey White Chili
White Chicken Chili
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
Slow Braised Chili Con Carne
Black Bean and Quinoa Chili
Squash Chili Mole
Beef and Black Bean Chili
Buffalo Chicken Chili
7 Chili Chili
The recipe for Pumpkin & White Bean Chicken Chili sounds really good…but is there really a need for the 15oz. can of tomatoes??
Somehow it seems with the pumpkin and other ingredients it may not be needed…but since you have made it what do you say?
Is it an important flavor in this recipe?
I really like this both with and without the tomatoes!
great idea, and still not sick of pumpkin, and never sick of chili, love all kinds, beef or chicken, pork even so chicken and white beans are fine with me so thank you!