"Broccoli and Cheese" is a dish that my mother often makes for holiday dinners. Since I will not get the chance to have hers this holiday season, I thought that I would try making it myself. Unfortunately I was not able to get the recipe from her before I made it and I had to pull it from memory. Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables and I happily eat it plain, but melted cheese makes almost anything better! It turned out pretty good. The crisp croutons and almond slivers add a nice crunchy contrast to the soft broccoli and cheese. Overall this makes a pretty simple and tasty side dish. When I get the chance I will have to see how close I got the recipe.
Broccoli au Gratin
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 1 cup croutons
- 2 tablespoons almond slivers (toasted)
- Steam the broccoli until just tender, about 4-6 minutes.
- Place the broccoli in an 9x9 inch baking dish.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour on top of the broccoli.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the cheese is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 cup bread (cut into cubes)
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the garlic and saute for a few minutes.
- Let the oil cool and absorb the garlic flavour.
- Toss the bread, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Toast the bread in an oven until golden brown.