Please forgive me as I indulge in my grilled cheese sandwich obsession again so soon. I was planning on giving you a break but then I had another idea; an idea that would forever revolutionize the world of grilled cheese sandwiches! As I mentioned in my post about how to make the perfect grilled cheese sandwich , I like to shred or grate the cheese and sprinkle it on the bread in the pan which invariably leads to spilling some of the cheese into the pan where it gets stuck to the bottom of the sandwich and caramelizes. That cheese that caramelizes on the grilled cheese sandwich is easily one of the best parts of an already amazing thing and I am always looking forward to it. Last week while I was perfecting my grilled cheese sandwich techniques, some cheese spilled over into the pan I had a thought: What if I just happened to " accidentally " spilled a lot more cheese into the pan, say enough to coat the entire sandwich?
Once the idea got into my head there was just no denying it! I mean there is really no way that you can go wrong with doubling the cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich and trying your best to get more of that burnt on cheesy goodness! For the recipe I made the grilled cheese sandwich pretty much as normal and then I threw another helping of cheese into the pan, flipped the sandwich onto it and cooked it until the cheese had melted onto the bread and then caramelized, repeating the process on the other side.
All I can say is WOW! The caramelized cheese covered grilled cheese sandwich is simply amazing! Grilled cheese sandwiches will never be the same!
This grilled cheese sandwich went really well with a bowl of roasted tomato soup .
Caramelized Cheese Covered Grilled Cheese Sandwich
We all know that those little bits of melted cheese that ooze out and burn on the side are one of the best parts of a grilled cheese sandwich so why not take it one step further and purposely coat the the grilled cheese sandwich with cheese to caramelize on?
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 slices bread, day old
- 6 ounces cheese, grated/shredded, room temperature
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Completely butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread in the pan, buttered side down, sprinkle on the half cheese and top with the remaining slice of bread, buttered side up
- Turn the heat down a notch and cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
- Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 2-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle half of the remaining cheese on an unoccupied section of the pan, place the grilled cheese on top and cook until the cheese has melted and caramelized, about 2-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on an unoccupied section of the pan, flip the grilled cheese on top and cook until the cheese has melted and caramelized, about 2-4 minutes.