I was looking for a quick meal for a busy weekend and I remembered seeing this post on Shrimp a la Diabla. How could I resist shrimp in a spicy sauce? This dish is pretty much just shrimp cooked in a hot and spicy tomato based sauce. You can add the heat however you like. I used some fresh ground chili peppers, but you could also use chopped chipotles in adobo or some kind of chili sauce, etc. Serve with rice and or refried beans etc. I was in such a hurry that I forgot to add the cilantro.
Camarones en Salsa (Shrimp in Salsa)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 onions (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar (optional, to balance out the heat of the chili and the sourness of the lime juice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 pound shrimp
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chili powder and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, lime juice, salt and pepper and mix.
- Add the shrimp and cook for a few minutes on each side.
- Add the cilantro and remove from the heat.