I was looking for a quick meal for a busy weekend and I remembered seeing this post on Shrimp a la Diabla. How could I resist shrimp in a spicy sauce? This dish is pretty much just shrimp cooked in a hot and spicy tomato based sauce. You can add the heat however you like. I used some fresh ground chili peppers, but you could also use chopped chipotles in adobo or some kind of chili sauce, etc. Serve with rice and or refried beans etc. I was in such a hurry that I forgot to add the cilantro.
Camarones en Salsa (Shrimp in Salsa)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 onions (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar (optional, to balance out the heat of the chili and the sourness of the lime juice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 pound shrimp
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chili powder and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, lime juice, salt and pepper and mix.
- Add the shrimp and cook for a few minutes on each side.
- Add the cilantro and remove from the heat.
Shrimp & spicy are my two favorite words! My daughter and I will definitly be giving this one a try.
Peter M says
Kevin, I love heat, love seafood…I’m sold!
Bellini Valli says
Looks like you have been doing some “armchair travelling” to Mexico Kevin! Love the flavours of this dish and the refried beans!
These sound wonderful. Now I am craving shrimp!
I wouldn’t have thought of having this with refried beans but I bet they would go really well!