Shrimp is one of my favorite foods. One of the things the things that I like most about shrimp, other than their flavour and texture, is that they cook up really quickly. They take no more than a few minutes to cook and that means that many dishes that focus on the shrimp cook in no time as well. In fact, a shrimp dish can be as simple as cooking the shrimp in a tasty sauce for a couple of minutes. This is one such dish, where the shrimp are cooked in a simple tequila and lime sauce. I wanted to add a bit of freshness to the dish so I used a jalapeño pepper as the source of heat. Fresh cilantro, one of my favorite herbs, was a must. I wanted to serve the shrimp on rice so I made sure that there was a nice amount of the tequila and lime sauce left to soak into the rice. The tequila lime rice came together quickly and was really tasty.
Tequila Lime Shrimp
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 shallot (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 jalapeño (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pound shrimp (peeled and deveived)
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- salt and pepper
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the shallots and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, jalapeño and cumin and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the shrimp, tequila and cook until the shrimp are pink, about 1-3 minutes per side.
- Remove the shrimp and set aside.
- Simmer the sauce to reduce to the desired amount.
- Remove from the heat and add the shrimp, lime juice, cilantro and salt and pepper.