When I think about coleslaw I immediatly think about a cabbage salad smothered in a mayonnaise but coleslaw can definitely work without the mayo. I recently made a sesame and ginger coleslaw where I used the mayonnaise based dressing but I now found that I needed a version of it without mayonnaise for the next project that I was working on. I kept the changes for the mayonnaise-less version pretty simple relying on a sesame and ginger vinaigrette to replace the mayo. The vinaigrette consists of rice wine vinegar, lime juice, oil, toasted sesame oil, ginger and a bit of honey to balance things out a bit with some sweetness. I also added a chopped up birds eye chili to this version to add a touch of heat tot he salad. With the tasty sesame and ginger vinaigrette you will never miss the mayonnaise in this coleslaw.
Sesame and Ginger Coleslaw (Mayoless)
- 2 cups cabbage (shredded)
- 1 carrot (shredded)
- 2 green onions (diced)
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 lime (juice)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or vegetable)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon ginger (grated)
- 1 birds eye chili (minced, optional)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Mix the cabbage, carrot, green onion and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Mix the vinegar, lime juice, oil, sesame oil, honey, ginger and chili in a small bowl.
- Toss the salad in the dressing and garnish with sesame seeds.