There were still a lot of local pears at the farmers market on the weekend and I picked some up. I was looking for recipes to use them with when I came across this one for a grilled pear salad with a port vinaigrette. With pears, walnuts, pancetta, and blue cheese this salad sounded pretty good. Up until recently I did not really like blue cheeses. If you have been following my blog you will know that gorgonzola cheese is now one of my favorite cheeses. This recipe called for Roquefort cheese and Roquefort is another one of the big blue cheeses and I wanted to try it. This salad was pretty good. The sweetness of the pear and vinaigrette went well with the tangy Roquefort cheese and salty pancetta. I really like the tang and the creaminess of the Roquefort cheese. This salad was a bit more work to make but it was worth it.
1 handful walnuts (chopped)
1 ounce pancetta (chopped)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 pear (cored and sliced)
1 cup Port Wine
1 serving salad greens
1 tablespoon red onion (sliced)
1 ounce Roquefort cheese (crumbled)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1. Toast the walnuts in a preheated 350F oven until fragrant, about 5-10 minutes.
2. Fry the pancetta in a pan until crisp, about 5-10 minutes.
3. Toss the pears in the oil and grill until golden brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
4. Simmer the port wine in a small sauce pan until it has reduced by half and is syrupy, about 5-10 minutes.
5. Place the salad green on a plate and top with the walnuts, pancetta, pears, onion and cheese.
6. Mix 1 tablespoon of the port syrup with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a bowl and pour it on the salad.
7. Salt and pepper to taste.
Pear Salad with and Bacon, Gorgonzola and Candied Walnuts