It's time for another side dish and this time it's one using one of my favourite fall green vegetables, brussels sprouts, in a parmesan roasted brussels sprouts dish. Ever since I discovered just how magical roasted brussels sprouts are I try to roast them every chance I get! Roasting the brussels sprouts brings out their flavour, mellows the slight bitterness and caramelizes the edges and those caramelized bits are the best part! This roasted brussels sprouts dish could not be easier to make, you simply slice or quarter the brussels sprouts (I prefer to slice so that there is more surface area to caramelize but quartering is quicker.), toss them in some oil along with chopped garlic, roast them, sprinkle on the parmesan and return them to the oven until the parmesan is all melted and good. Given my bacon addiction and how well bacon and brussels sprouts go together I almost always add bacon and a touch of lemon zest brightens things up a bit! In addition to being super easy to make, you can do most of the prep work a few days ahead of time and even roast the brussels sprout a few hours early and return them to the oven briefly to warm when ready to serve so this side dish is perfect for large meals like Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner!
Omit the bacon for vegetarian.
There's no way that I'm omitting the bacon; pile it on!
Just look at all of those beautiful roasted brussels sprouts covered in melted parmesan!
Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Double Smoked Bacon
Brussels sprouts that are sliced, tossed with garlic and oil, roasted until slightly caramelized, covered in melted parmesan cheese and tossed with double smoked bacon; brussels sprouts never had it so good! (Check out below the recipe for time saving make ahead tips.)
- 2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced or quartered
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices double smoked bacon (omit for vegetarian)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Toss the brussels sprouts in the oil along with the garlic, salt and pepper, place in in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until lightly golden brown, about 20 minutes, mixing them up half way through.
- Meanwhile cook the bacon until crispy and drain on paper towels before crumbling.
- Sprinkle on the parmesan and return to the oven until it melts, about 1-2 minutes.
- Toss the brussels sprouts with the bacon and lemon zest, and lemon juice and enjoy!
Tip: Slice the brussels sprouts with the slicing blade in a food processor rather than slicing by hand with a knife.
Tip: Trim and slice the brussels sprouts a day or two ahead of time and store, covered, in the fridge.
Tip: Make a few hours ahead and rewarm in the oven for a few minutes before serving.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Bacon in a Mustard Cream Sauce
Maple Dijon Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Roasted Brussels Sprout Carbonara
Hot Cheesy Roasted Brussels Sprout Dip
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Halloumi Sliders
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Halloumi Sliders with Harissa
Maple Dijon Green Beans with Bacon, Candied Pecans and Goat Cheese