While that turkey dinner is roasting for Thanksgiving you have the opportunity to start impressing your guests with some tasty snacks and appetizers and you really can’t go wrong with these roasted brussels sprouts and halloumi sliders! The idea is to start with some large brussels sprout, cut them in half and roast them, which really brings out their flavour, and then to skewer them up on toothpicks along with some tasty fillings and then serve them up as finger food! These little roasted brussels sprout sliders are one of my favourite fall appetizers and a great way to fill the is with some fried halloumi cheese, sweet caramelized onions and some tangy grainy mustard! Halloumi is a cheese that retains it’s shape when fried it’s so amazingly good when fried in a bit of butter until it’s nice and golden brown and crispy on the sides and warm in the centre and finishing it off with a splash of fresh citrusy lemon juice is just heavenly! The combination of roasted brussels sprouts, fried cheese, sweet caramelized onions and grainy mustard in these sliders will ensure that they disappear quickly and they may just outshine your Thanksgiving dinner!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Halloumi Sliders
Prep Time:20 minutes Cook Time:30 minutes Total Time:50 minutes Servings: 8
Roasted brussels sprouts sliders stuffed with fried halloumi cheese, caramelized onions and grainy mustard; the perfect treat for fall entertaining!
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 pound onion, sliced
- 2 pounds large brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 pound halloumi cheese, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices by 1" square
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grainy mustard
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the onions and cook, stirring, until they turn a deep golden brown, about 30 minutes, before setting aside.
- Meanwhile, toss the brussels sprouts in the olive oil, salt and pepper, spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until lightly golden brown, about 15-20 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat, add the halloumi and fry until lightly golden brown on both sides, about 6-10 minutes before adding the lemon juice and removing from the heat.
- Assemble the sliders by skewering half a brussels sprout on a toothpick followed by some grainy mustard, caramelized onions, halloumi and another half of brussels sprout.
- Enjoy freshly made!