The other day I noticed some brussels sprouts looking rather lonely in the grocery store and that made me realize that with winter coming to an end they would be disappearing soon. Brussels sprouts have to be one of my favourite winter vegetables and despite the fact that I really had not done much with them this winter I always have plenty of ideas with how to enjoy them including this carbonara pasta. Carbonara pasta is an Italian pasta dish that consists of egg yolk, cheese, bacon and plenty of fresh cracked black pepper and I always enjoy throwing a seasonal vegetable like brussels sprouts in the mix to keep things new and interesting and to make it a bit healthier. Although you could steam the brussels sprouts, I prefer to roast them to bring out their flavour and they go perfectly well with the bacon in the creamy egg yolk and cheese carabonara sauce! On of the great things about this pasta is how quick and easy it is to make, taking only as long as it takes to roast the brussels sprouts to pull together making it a great light meal for a weeknight.
Tip: Save some of the water that the pasta cooked in to add the sauce to make it creamier and to help it cling to the pasta better.
Serve the brussels sprout carbonara pasta with extra grated parmesan or pecorino cheese and plenty of fresh cracked black pepper for garnish!
Roasted Brussels Sprout Carbonara
A winter version of carbonara pasta with roasted brussels sprouts and bacon.
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound pasta (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup pecorino romano or parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Toss the brussels sprouts in the olive oil along with the salt and pepper, spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated 425F/220C oven until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil and cook the pasta as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a pan, pour off all but a tablespoon of the bacon grease from the pan, turn off the heat and add the garlic.
- Meanwhile, mix the egg yolk, heavy cream and cheese in a bowl.
- Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.
- Mix the pasta, egg yolk mixture and brussels sprouts into the bacon in the pan, adding pasta water as needed and season with pepper to taste.
Spaghetti alla Carbonara with Peas
Butternut Squash Carbonara
Shrimp Carbonara with Cream
Hot Cheesy Roasted Brussels Sprout Dip
Brussels Sprout and Mushroom Hash
Roasted Cauliflower and Mushroom Carbonara
Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Carbonara
Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Double Smoked Bacon
Cajun Chicken Carbonara
A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says
What a fantastic and unique pasta dish!
I love everything about this pasta!
Love the sprouts in there!
Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch says
Love this idea! Brussels Sprouts are a great addition to this wonderful pasta dish!
Now this is a fun twist on carbonara ~ nice way to use brussels sprouts!
I love brussels sprouts, and I'm always looking for new pasta recipes. This looks delicious, my friend. Thank you for sharing it with us!
Bev Weidner (Bev Cooks) says
Oh you're kidding me. I'm withering away.
Aimee @ Simple Bites says
Did someone say bacon? 😉 Love this fresh take on a classic, Kevin. It's going on the menu this week.
Oooo, this looks amazing Kevin! Loving the brussels!
great as always, kevin!
Lovin all that bacon!
I could go for some of that for dinner tonight!
Kevin, this sounds so good and I am starving!
Looks delicious! Also instead of 2 egg yolks and 2 tbsp heavy cream, you can use 2 whole eggs. (And pancetta is always a good substitute for or addition to bacon.) Yum!
Oh my heck, I am so making this. I recently discovered brussels sprouts and I can't get enough.
Yvonne @ bitter baker says
This looks amazing! I love your twist on a traditional dish. Got it bookmarked and ready to go 🙂
Marian (Sweetopia) says
This looks so delicious! I've never been a fan of brussel sprouts, but this may change my mind!
Brussel sprouts are so underrated, great recipe!
Fed Up and Drunk says
Hello from the UK! Such a lovely blog you have!! 🙂
Sarah Beth says
Carbonara is my favorite pasta dish…never have I thought to add brussel sprouts. Sounds amazing! I'll definitely have to try this one!
I made this tonight and it everyone thought it was fantastic!!! Thank you so much! This is now apart of the rotation.
Julia | JuliasAlbum.com says
Brussels Sprouts in Pasta Carbonara? Fantastic! Pinning it!
Culinary Cory says
What a creative way of using Brussels sprouts. Nice idea.
Kim @ Kim's Healthy Eats says
That looks fantastic! What a great combination!