When I was thinking about appetizers for New Year’s Eve parties I could not help but think about roasted brussels sprouts sliders filled with grilled halloumi cheese and caramelized onions! Roasted brussels sprouts sliders are so fun and tasty and I’ve made them before with various ingredients and this time I went with the grilled halloumi, caramelized onions and some harissa. Harissa is a spicy chili pepper sauce that is balanced with sweet roasted red peppers and it goes really well in these brussels sprouts sliders. You start by cutting the brussels sprouts in half and roasting them and then you assemble them by skewering them on a toothpick along with the fillings to make a nice mouth sized snack that is perfect for parties! The filling for these sliders is grilled halloumi cheese, which retains its shape when grilled and it has a nice squeak when you chew it, along with some sweet caramelized onions and the spicy harissa making for one tasty bite sized treat!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Halloumi Sliders with Harissa
Roasted brussels sprouts sliders stuffed with fried halloumi cheese, caramelized onions and sweet and spicy harissa sauce; the perfect treat for fall entertaining!
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 pound onion, sliced
- 2 pounds large brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 pound halloumi cheese, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons harissa sauce
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the onions and cook, stirring, until they turn a deep golden brown, about 30 minutes, before setting aside.
- Meanwhile, toss the brussels sprouts in the olive oil, salt and pepper, spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until lightly golden brown, about 15-20 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat, add the halloumi and fry until lightly golden brown on both sides, about 6-10 minutes before adding the lemon juice and removing from the heat.
- Assemble the sliders by skewering half a brussels sprout on a toothpick followed by some harissamu, caramelized onions, halloumi and another half of brussels sprout.
- Enjoy freshly made!