Shitake mushroom and spinach is another one of my favorite miso soups. When choosing ingredients for miso soup it is good to choose ingredients that have different properties. For example: some that are firm with some that are soft, some that float with some that sink or some that have a dark colour with some that have a light colour.
Shiitake and Spinach Miso Soup
- 1 cup dashi
- 1 handful shitake mushrooms
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- Bring the dashi and shitake to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the spinach. (It will wilt quickly in the still warm liquid.)
- Dissolve the miso with some of the heated dashi in a separate bowl. (We do not want to boil the miso as it will not taste as good.)
- Add the miso back to the soup.
- Pour the soup into a bowl and top with green onion.