Not too long ago I came across the wonderfully novel idea of grilled cheese croutons on Panini Happy and I just had to try it! Grilled cheese sandwiches and soup go hand in hand and dipping is a favourite past time so I just knew that grilled cheese croutons would be fabulous! Recently I made a bowl of roasted tomato soup to go along with some grilled cheese sandwiches and I took the opportunity to make the croutons. This 'recipe' is as easy as making a grilled cheese sandwich and cutting it up. You may want to use day old bread for the grilled cheese along with toasting it lightly before buttering it and then cook it a bit longer so that it is more resilient to getting soggy while sitting in the soup for that minute or two that it takes you to devour it all. :)
Grilled Cheese Croutons
Grilled cheese sandwiches go so well with soups like tomato and chicken noodle. Instead of dipping your sandwich into your soup next time how about turning your crispy toasted grilled cheese into croutons?
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 slices bread, day old
- 3 ounces cheese, grated/shredded, room temperature
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Completely butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread in the pan, buttered side down, sprinkle on the cheese and top with the remaining slice of bread, buttered side up
- Turn the heat down a notch and cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
- Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 2-4 minutes.
- Cut the edges from the grilled cheese, cut int 1 inch squares and use to garnish your favourite soup.
Roasted Garlic Croutons