Among Chinese cuisine Sichuan dishes are my favourite with their use for spicy hot chilies and mouth numbing Sichuan peppercorns. Bang bang chicken is a great way to enjoy those spicy hot chilies and Sichuan peppercorns in a simple chicken salad that is dressed with a super tasty sesame based sauce that includes both! This spicy sesame sauce is just bursting in flavour and really hard to resist eating it by the spoonful! This chicken salad is served on a bed of juicy cucumbers to provide relief from the spicy heat of the dressing which is a perfect combo and keeps you coming back for more!
Serve the entire salad on top of a bed of rice vermicelli noodles for a more substantial meal.
Bang Bang Chicken
A Sichuan style chicken salad in a spicy, sweet and salty sesame sauce.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 pound chicken breasts, poached and shredded
- 2 tablespoons sesame paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinkiang black rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1+ tablespoon chili oil or chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns, toasted and ground
- 4 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Bring the chicken to a boil in a pot of water, simmer until cooked, about 20 minutes and shred.
- Mix the sesame paste, soy sauce, black rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, chili oil and Sichuan peppercorns.
- Assemble salad and enjoy!
Dan Dan Mian
Kung Pao Chicken
Sichuan Peppercorn Shrimp