I was looking for another quick and light meal and I was thinking about shrimp as they usually fit that bill. While I was eating the sichuan peppercorn steak that I made a while ago I thought that sichuan peppercorn shrimp would be a good idea. I have really been enjoying the mouth numbing sichuan peppercorns and I was looking forward to combining them with one of my favorite foods, shrimp. I just threw this recipe together as I was making it and my goal was to keep it nice and simple so that I could enjoy the succulent shrimp with the mouth numbing sichuan peppercorns and the spicy heat from the chilies. The first thing that I did was start by toasting the sichuan peppercorns in a frying pan and I was immediately rewarded by their amazing aroma which quickly filled my apartment. I finished the dish off with some sesame oil which made my place smell even better. These two smells always bring back memories of Asian cuisine and restaurants. The sichuan peppercorn shrimp came together quickly and easily and turned out really well! Shrimp is one of my favorite foods because it is amazing and because it is so easy to throw together a great meal really quickly with it. I served the shrimp on some fragrant jasmine rice which provided a welcome relief from the heat of the dish.
Sichuan Peppercorn Shrimp
- 1 pound shrimp (shelled and deviened)
- 1 tablespoon sichuan peppercorns (toasted and ground)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 shallot (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 small chili pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon cilantro (chopped)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- Toss the shrimp in the ground sichuan peppercorns.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the shallots and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for a minute.
- Saute the shrimp until cooked, just a few minutes per side and set aside.
- Add the chicken stock and deglaze the pan.
- Add the soy sauce, chili pepper, chili sauce and lime and reduce the sauce by half.
- Remove from heat and mix in the shrimp, sesame oil and cilantro.