After recently making the crispy parmesan cauliflower bites I could not help but think that crispy cauliflower could be used in other recipes and the thing the that stuck out in my mind was using it to replace the meat in a Chinese style dish like honey lemon chicken. Normally when I am making a Chinese style dish where the meat is coated and fried until crispy I take a lighter approach and use simple sauteed meat but since the meat in this case is actually cauliflower I thought that it would be alright to indulge a bit and go with the crispy coating. The honey lemon sauce is super quick and easy to make starring, you guessed it, honey and lemon along with some other Chinese style sauce staples including soy sauce, garlic and ginger. You will definitely never miss the meat in this dish as the crispy cauliflower is absolutely amazing in the tasty honey lemon sauce!
I served the crispy honey lemon cauliflower over a bed of zucchini noodles stir fried with some garlic and a touch of chili heat to keep things nice and light.
Feel free to serve the honey lemon cauliflower over rice if you wish but the zoodles are so good!
Crispy Honey Lemon Cauliflower on Chili and Garlic Stir Fried Zoodles
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes Servings: 4
Crispy fried cauliflower in a tasty honey and lemon sauce served over a bed of tender zucchini noodles.
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
- 1/2 cup flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into noodles
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (~1/2 lemon)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chill sauce such as sambal oelek or sriracha
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
For the crispy cauliflower:
For the stir fried zoodles:
For the honey lemon sauce:
For the meal:
- Working in batches dredge the cauliflower florets in the flower, dip into the eggs, and coat in the breadcrumbs before frying them in oil heated to medium-high (~350F/180C) until golden brown and setting them aside on paper towels to drain.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds, add the zucchini noodles and saut?© until just tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Heat a pan over mediumh heat, add the mixture of the honey, lemon juice, soy sauce, broth, chill sauce, lemon zest, garlic, ginger and the mixture of the water and the corn starch and cook until the sauce thickens, about a minute, before adding the crispy cauliflower and tossing to coat.
- Serve the cauliflower immediately over the zucchini noodles garnished with green onions.