I have used parsley in many recipes, but up until now the parley has been a minor player and/or a garnish. I have never used parsley as the star of a dish. The other day I was watching the food network and they had a recipe for parsley pesto . I just had to try a recipe that placed parsley as the main flavour. I used the recipe pretty much as is, but I cut down on the volume. It was surprisingly tasty. If you like parsley you will probably like parsley pesto.
I have made pesto from basil before, but it never occurred to me that other herbs could be used in this way. This opens a few more doors. A dill pesto? A cilantro pesto?
Parsley Pesto on Asparagus
- 1 bunch of flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds (toasted)
- 4 tablespoons grated parmigiano-reggiano
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place everything into a food processor and puree.
- 1 bunch asparagus (trimmed)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Toss the asparagus with the oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.