Chimichurri is an Argentinian green sauce made primarily from parsley with the addition of garlic, olive oil, oregano and red wine vinegar. Of course there are many variations on the sauce and it commonly includes other ingredients. I play around with this chimichurri recipe a lot but this is my favorite version so far. Chimichurri is nice and light and fresh and just packed with flavour and it goes really well on grilled meats, especially steak! With all of the fresh herbs, it certainly smacks of summer!
A green sauce made with parsley, garlic, olive oil, oregano and red wine vinegar commonly used in Argentina on grilled meat.
- 1 cup parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Puree everything in a in a food processor.
Option: Replace the red pepper flakes with a fresh red chili pepper (to taste).
Option: Replace the red wine vinegar with fresh lime and/or lemon juice!