Strawberry season is pretty much over and there were still a lot of recipes that I wanted to try. There were still a few stalls with strawberries at the market and I picked some up. One of the the recipes that I wanted to try was Spinach & Strawberry Salad with Buttered Almonds from Seasonal Ontario Food . I used the recipe pretty much as is, though I added some chopped mint and reduced the amount of oil. It was really good. A perfect use of some of the last of the strawberries of the season.
Spinach and Strawberry Salad with Butter Toasted Almonds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice & zest
- 1 tablespoon almond oil
- 1 teaspoon soy
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 serving baby spinach (washed)
- 1/2 cup strawberries (cleaned, hulled and sliced)
- * ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon mint (chopped)
- Mix the honey, lime juice, almond oil, and soy.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the almonds and toast until golden brown.
- Place the spinach into a dish mixed with the mint and top with the strawberries, dressing, and almonds.
- Garnish with freshly ground black pepper.