Not too long ago I made Eggplant Croquettes and I really enjoyed them. They had an Italian theme of flavours going on with the parmigiano reggiano, the parsley, the marinara and the roasted red pepper sauce. Soon after I was reading this post on eggplants that mentions both eggplant croquettes and mango chutney and inspiration hit. What if I made eggplant croquettes with curry and topped them with some mango chutney? I thought that I would use the same basic recipe and swap the parmigiano reggiano for some curry powder, the parsley for some cilantro. I finally got around to trying the dish and it turned out pretty good. Then again, I really like curry and I am always trying to find ways to work it into new dishes. I am also really into the jar of mango chutney that I picked up not too long ago. Now I just need to get around to looking for a recipe to make my own mango chutney.
Curry Eggplant Croquettes with Mango Chutney
- 1 medium eggplant (sliced in 1/4 inch thick slices)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger (grated)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cilantro (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons oil
- mango chutney to taste
- Broil the eggplant until golden brown on both sides, about 7 minutes per side.
- Let it cool and remove the skin.
- Place the eggplant, bread crumbs, garlic, curry powder, cilantro, salt and pepper in a food processor and process.
- Grab a small handful of the mixture and form a patty.
- Dip the patty into the egg and then in the bread crumbs to coat.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Fry the patty until golden brown on both sides, about 1-3 minutes per side.
- Repeat step 4 through 7 until you have used up all of the mixture.