When I was growing up I did not really enjoy sausages. I was mostly exposed to flavourless breakfast sausages that I really didn't like. Recently I have been trying sausages again, though I am still avoiding the breakfast sausages. Among others, I have found that I really like Italian sausages. They are full of flavour and you can often use them in place of ground meat in recipes to add a bit more flavour to the dish. I came across this recipe for zucchini stuffed with Italian sausage and cheese. This recipe sounded really tasty and I worked it into my meal plan as soon as I could. The dish turned out to be just as tasty as it looked. How can you go wrong with Italian sausage melted golden browned cheese?
2 large zucchinis
1 tablespoon oil
2 Italian Sausage (casings removed)
1 small onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
2 tablespoons white wine
2 tomatoes (diced)
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon basil (chopped)
1/2 cup mozzarella (grated)
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
1. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the middle.
2. Chop the zucchini that was scooped out and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a pan.
4. Add the sausage and brown.
5. Add the onion and saute until tender.
6. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
7. Add the wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan.
8. Add the chopped zucchini, tomato, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
9. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil.
10. Let the stuffing cool.
11. Mix in half of the cheese.
12. Stuff the zucchinis with the stuffing and top with the remaining cheese.
13. Bake in a preheated 400F oven until the zucchinis are tender and the cheese is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini topped with Melted Cheddar, Bacon and an Avocado Blue Cheese Dressing
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash