With all of the things that you can do with zucchini (aka courgettes) one thing that I find that I come back to year after year is stuffing it; I mean you really can’nt go wrong with stuffing zucchini with all sorts of good things! This year the first thing on my list to stuff into zucchini was one of my obsessions, buffalo chicken! The basic idea behind this kind of stuffed zucchini (aka zucchini boats) is that you cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, hollow it out and stuff it with a filling before baking it. Since this inspiration for this stuffed zucchini was buffalo chicken wings I started the filling out with some diced carrots and celery which are often served with the wings. Corn is also in season now and I was thinking that the sweetness of it would pair nicely with the spicy buffalo chicken flavours so I added some to the mix and together with carrots, celery and the zucchini that was hollowed out I had a really nice vegetable base. Up next of course was the chicken along with the buffalo hot sauce and a touch of blue cheese. When you are baking a dish like this it is always nice to top it with some cheese that will melt all over everything so I threw on some cheddar. I could have left things here with one super tasty buffalo chicken stuffed zucchini but I could not resist including two more of my favourite ingredients including bacon and avocados. I added the bacon simply by sprinkling it on as garnish and the avocado by mixing it into some blue cheese dressing that I drizzled over everything.
With so many good things in this buffalo chicken stuffed zucchini I knew that it was going to be good but I was not prepared for just how good! The first bite was almost magical and after I had devoured my first plateful I knew that I had just made my all time favourite new dish for the summer! If you are a fan of buffalo chicken this is one dish that you just have to try while there is plenty of zucchini around!
I served the buffalo chicken stuffed zucchini with a simple salad using the avocado blue cheese dressing for a light and super tasty summer meal!
The avocado blue cheese dressing is so addictively good! I have a feeling that I will be using it on everything for the next little while! 🙂
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini topped with Melted Cheddar, Bacon and an Avocado Blue Cheese Dressing
Zucchini stuffed with buffalo chicken and corn topped with bacon, plenty of melted cheese and an avocado blue cheese dressing!
- 4 medium zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely diced
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/2 pound chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup buffalo hot sauce
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup blue cheese
- 1/4 cup avocado blue cheese dressing (see below) (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, hollow out the zucchini leaving them 1/4 inch thick, reserving and chopping the insides.
- Cook the bacon in a pan until crispy, set aside on paper towels to drain and reserve 1 tablespoon of grease in the pan.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the reserved zucchini and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Mix in the chicken, corn and hot sauce and remove from heat.
- Place the zucchini halves in the boiling water and boil for a minute, remove from water and place in large baking dishes.
- Stuff the zucchini halves with the buffalo chicken mixture sprinkle on the cheese and bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the zucchini is nice and tender and the cheese has melted, about 30-40 minutes.
Avocado Blue Cheese Dressing
Smooth and creamy avocado mixed into a tangy blue cheese dressing.
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 cup blue cheese dressing
- Mix the avocado into the dressing and enjoy!
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini
Zucchini Stuffed with Italian Sausage and Cheese
Kolokithakia Gemista (Stuffed Courgettes) with Avgolemono Sauce
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Eggplant Parmesan Stuffed Eggplant
Grilled Zucchini Nachos
More buffalo chicken recipes:
Blue Cheese Dressing