I have had the idea to do buffalo chicken stuffed potato skins for a long time now and what better time to pull out the skins than for the the big football game? The basic idea was to stuff some potato skins with chicken in a buffalo hot sauce along with cheese and baked them until the cheese melts and gets all nice and bubbly. I mean you really cannot got wrong with spicy buffalo chicken covered in melted cheese right?
I started out by baking the potatoes until the insides were tender, though you could always save some time by microwaving them. After scooping out the insides of the potatoes I threw them back into the oven for some more baking to harden them up a bit so that they would hold together better when filled to the brim with the spicy buffalo chicken. I guess this extra step makes them thrice baked and it gives the edges of the potato skins a semi-crunchy texture which is particularly nice. Next up was the filling and I kept things simple by filling them with some cooked shredded chicken that was soaked in hot sauce. I was however torn over what to fill these potato skins with as I was also thing that buffalo chicken dip would also be an amazing filling. After a lot of hot cheesy dips over the last few weeks I decided to keep things on the lighter side and I went with the chicken in buffalo sauce. Blue cheese is commonly associated with buffalo wings so it was the obvious choice and I combined it with a bit of cheddar to keep it on the milder side. (If you are serving these to someone that is not a fan of blue cheese you can always go for all cheddar cheese and then just serve them with a blue cheese dressing that everyone can dip the skins into if they please.) Finally the buffalo chicken and cheese stuffed potato skins make one final trip to the oven to bake until the cheese has melted and then they are ready for your snacking pleasure.
Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins
Potato skins filled spicy buffalo chicken and tangy melted blue cheese.
- 4 medium baking potatoes such as russet, scrubbed clean
- oil for brushing
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced and warm
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (such as Frank’s Red Hot)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup blue cheese dressing
- Prick the potatoes a few times with a fork and bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until tender, about an hour.
- Let the potatoes cool, cut in half and scoop out the middle leaving about 1/8 inch of potato on the skin. Reserve the scooped out potato for another use like mashed potatoes.
- Brush the potato skins all over with the oil and bake in a preheated 450F/230C over for 10 minutes on each side.
- Mix the hot sauce and the melted butter and then mix in the chicken.
- Season the inside of the potato skins with salt and pepper, fill with the chicken and sprinkle on the cheeses.
- Broil until the cheese has melted, just a few minutes.
- Serve while still warm, garnished with green onions and with a side celery and carrot sticks and some blue cheese sauce for dipping.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Buffalo Chicken Salad
Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Poppers
Buffalo Chicken Chili
Buffalo Chicken Sushi
Twice Baked Sweet Potato Potato Skins with Pecan Streusel (aka Individual Sweet Potato Casserole)
More buffalo chicken recipes:
Crispy Fried Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Buffalo Chicken French Bread
One Pan 20 Minute Buffalo Chicken Tortellini