Up next I have some spicy sriracha teriyaki chicken meatballs that are just perfect for both snacking on while watching the game and for dinner. Anything teriyaki starts out with a teriyaki sauce and I like to make my own, especially when it's a simple combination of salty soy sauce with something sweet like mirin or in this case brown sugar. (Teriyaki sauce usually also contains sake but it's ok to omit it here.) These meatballs begin as you would expect with some ground chicken along with an egg and breadcrumbs as binders and they are seasoned with green onions, garlic, ginger and a touch of the tasty homemade teriyaki sauce. When I think about things teriyaki I often think about adding pineapple since it's such a fabulous combination so these meatballs also contains some crushed pineapple and the teriyaki sauce uses pineapple juice! Once the meatballs are assembled they just take a few minutes in the oven to bake, then you toss them in the teriyaki sauce and you are in teriyaki chicken meatball heaven! Serve with toothpicks and extra sriracha chili sauce if desired!
Their just as good for dinner as they are for snacking!
Sriracha Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Servings: 6
Tasty chicken and pineapple meatballs in a pineapple teriyaki sauce spiked with sriracha chili sauce!
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (tamari for gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sriracha (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple, juices drained
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce (see above)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
For the teriyaki sauce:
For the meatballs:
- Mix all of the ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the sugar melts and the sauce thickens a bit, about 3-5 minutes.
- Mix all of the ingredients, roll into 1-2 tablespoon balls, place on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until cooked and lightly golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Toss the meatballs in teriyaki sauce and enjoy!