I have been completely enamored by homemade shrimp burgers ever since I first tried them a short while ago and since they have been on my mind a lot I had to make some more! One combo that I particularly enjoy is juicy shrimp and a sweet and salty teriyaki sauce which goes fantastically well when wrapped in bacon and grilled on skewers along with some sweet and tangy pineapple and I was thinking that a burger version would be amazing! I kept the shrimp patties pretty simple with large chunks of shrimp, a few seasoning including garlic, ginger, sesame oil and teriyaki sauce, in addition to some breadcrumbs to help hold things together. Although you could easily use a store bought teriyaki sauce it is so easy to make your own and doing so gives you the opportunity to customize it for the dish that you are using it in like in this case where you use pineapple juice. I filled the burgers out with some bacon and instead of using slices of grilled pineapple I kicked things up a bit and went with a grilled pineapple salsa . I often like to include a cheese in my burgers and after thinking about it for a while I came to the conclusion that a touch of creamy blue cheese would go perfectly well with all of the other flavours going on in these burgers! I might just have found my new all time favourite burgers in these teriyaki shrimp burgers with pineapple salsa, bacon and blue cheese and I have to admit that I made them two times last week!
Feel free to keep things simple and go with grilled pineapple slices rather than the grilled pineapple salsa and you can omit the blue cheese if you are not a fan.
These burgers also go great in Hawaiian style sweet buns.
Teriyaki Shrimp Burgers with Grilled Pineapple Salsa, Bacon and Blue Cheese
Juicy and succulent shrimp burgers in a sweet, salty and tangy pineapple teriyaki sauce topped with grilled pineapple or grilled pineapple salsa, bacon and optionally blue cheese.
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled, deveined and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1 inch piece ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons pineapple teriyaki sauce (see below)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup grilled pineapple salsa or 4 slices pineapple, grilled
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- Mince 1/3 of the shrimp in a food processor along with the garlic, ginger, teriyaki sauce, sesame oil and green onions.
- Mix the minced shrimp into the chopped shrimp along with enough breadcrumbs that the mixture will hold together, form 4 patties and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Oil your grill, heat to medium-high and cook until the shrimp turns pink, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Assemble the burgers and enjoy!
Pineapple Teriyaki Sauce
A tasty and easy homemade sweet, salty and tangy pineapple teriyaki sauce.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- Simmer everything over medium heat until reduced by half.
Salmon Teriyaki and Pineapple Quesadillas
Pad Thai Shrimp Burgers
Korean BBQ (Bulgogi) Burgers
Shrimp and Pineapple Teriyaki
Jerk Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Salsa, Slaw and Pina Colada Crema
Korean BBQ Chicken Burgers with Grilled Pineapple and Gochujang BBQ Sauce
Grilled Coconut and Pineapple Sweet Chili Shrimp Tacos
Sriracha Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
Teriyaki Grilled Shrimp and Pineapple
Teriyaki Grilled Shrimp and Pineapple Tacos with Candied Jalapeno and Bacon