I had a bunch of pineapple leftover after making my croque hawaii and I remembered how much I enjoyed the pineapple and teriyaki combination in the grilled teriyaki chicken and pineapple sandwich that I had had a while ago. Speaking of teriyaki, I had also been wanting to try shrimp teriyaki and I thought that a shrimp and pineapple teriyaki would be really good. I kept this recipe nice and simple with pretty much just shrimp, pineapple and teriyaki sauce. I worked the pineapple into the dish in three ways; I mixed some pineapple juice into the teriyaki marinade, I used big slices of the pineapple to complement the shrimp and I used some pureed pineapple to thicken up the body of the sauce. The shrimp and pineapple teriyaki turned out great! The sweet, tangy and juicy just warmed pineapple went really well with the succulent shrimp and the sweet and salty teriyaki sauce rounded out the flavours of the dish nicely.
Shrimp and Pineapple Teriyaki
- 1 pound shrimp (pealed and deviened)
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 cup pureed pineapple
- 1 pineapple (cut into bit sized pieces)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- Marinate the shrimp in the teriyaki sauce and pineapple juice for 10-20 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the shrimp and saute until cooked, about 2 minutes per side and set aside.
- Reduce the marinade by half in the pan.
- Add the pureed pineapple and pineapple and heat.
- Remove from heat and mix in the shrimp and sesame oil.
- Garnish with the green onion.