This honey walnut shrimp is one of my favourite recipes and when I made it recently I thought that I would take the opportunity to update the recipe and photos which I originally shared back in 2009! Honey walnut shrimp is a simple dish with crispy coated shrimp in honey, sweetened condensed milk and mayonnaise sauce mixed with candied walnuts! I like a panko breadcrumb coating as it gets nice and crispy and the textured surface provides plenty of nooks and crannies for the sauce to cling to, but a cornstarch coating is also good! This dish could not be quicker or easier to make! You just need to do some dredging, some dipping, some frying and then toss the shrimp in the sauce along with the nuts and you are ready to go! I like to serve honey walnut shrimp as a meal on rice along with a vegetable but it’s also great when you serve the shrimp and the dip separately as a snack or appetizer for dipping. Another option that I like is adding some chili sauce for some spicy heat! No matter how you serve honey walnut shrimp you are sure to enjoy it!
The original photo:
Honey Walnut Shrimp
Crispy shrimp coated in a creamy honey and walnut sauce!
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cup walnuts (optionally candied walnuts)
- Dredge the shrimp in the flour, dip in the egg and coat in breadcrumbs before cooking in oil in a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat until lightly golden brown, about 1-3 minutes per side and setting aside on paper towels to drain.
- Toss the shrimp in the mixture of the mayonnaise, sweetened condensed milk, honey and lemon juice and walnuts
Option: Replace the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs with 1 egg mixed with 1/2 cup cornstarch for a more standard crispy coating.
Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Chili Sauce
Grilled Coconut and Pineapple Sweet Chili Shrimp
Vietnamese Caramel Shrimp (Tom Rim)
Shrimp and Pineapple Teriyaki
Thai Lemon Shrimp
Teriyaki Shrimp Burgers with Grilled Pineapple Salsa, Bacon and Blue Cheese
Bang Bang Shrimp
Sticky Honey Sriracha Chicken Bites
Tonkatsu (Japanese Pork Cutlets)
Crispy Baked Coconut Chicken Bites