With all of the thought about snacks recently I was reminded of these firecracker shrimp that I came across on Steamy Kitchen a while ago. As soon as I saw the firecracker shrimp I knew that I would have to make them! You really cannot go wrong taking succulent shrimp, wrapping them in wonton wrappers, frying until golden brown and irresistibly crispy and good and then dipping them in a tasty Thai sweet chili sauce !
Not only are these firecracker shrimp addictively good but they are also super easy to make! First you need to marinate the shrimp and then all that is left is to wrap them in the wonton wrappers and fry them. Really there is only about a half an hour standing between you and these tasty little parcels of enjoyment! The shrimps tails hanging out of the crispy wonton wrappers make perfect hand hold which make them great finger food at parties!
Tip: Nick the shrimp a few times on the inside of their curve to help keep them from curling up when they cook.
The only problem with these firecracker shrimp is that they disappear far too quickly!
Marinated shrimp wrapped in egg roll wrappers and fried until golden brown and crispy served with a sweet chili sauce for dipping.
- 1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled with tails on and deviened
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 12 egg roll wrappers, cut in half into 2 triangles
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- oil for frying
- sweet chili sauce for dipping
- Nick the shrimp a few times along the inside of their curve to help them stay straight.
- Marinate the shrimp in the sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and ginger in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Shake any excess marinade off of the shrimp, wrap them in the egg roll wrappers leaving the tails out and seal the wrapper with a mixture of the water and the cornstarch.
- Fry the shrimp in small batches in oil over medium-high heat until golden brown, crispy and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes and set aside on paper towels to drain.