It's time for a new soup recipe, a beef short rib borscht! Borscht is a sour soup that is common in Eastern European countries with one of the more popular versions being a bright red beet soup! There are plenty of different versions of borscht or barszcz and this beef and beef one is my favourite. I like to start out with beef short ribs which have plenty of flavour and the beef is slowly braised until it's melt in your mouth delicious! In addition to the beef and beets this soup has plenty of veggies including onions, carrots, celeriac root (or potatoes) and cabbage making for one really hearty dinner! The sour aspect of soup comes from lemon juice (or vinegar) and it balances out the sweetness of the beets so amazingly well! I like to add dried porcini mushrooms for the extra hit of umami flavour and the soup is finished perfectly with fresh dill and a dollop of sour cream! Serve this beef short rib borscht with some buttered crusty bread for one tasty and satisfying meal!
Beef Short Rib Borscht
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 2 hours 10 minutes Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes Servings: 6
A sweet and sour beet soup with melt in your mouth tender beef (short ribs)!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound beef short ribs
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 pound beets, peeled and diced
- 1/2 pound celeriac root,(or potato), peeled and diced
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 ounce dries mushrooms, chopped(optional)
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the onion and carrots and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes, before adding the garlic and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, beef, beets, celeriac root, cabbage and mushrooms, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the beef is fall off the bone tender, about 1-2 hours, before removing the beef bones and shredding the beef.
- Add the dill and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy garnished with dill and sour cream!
Slow Cooker: Optionally implement steps 1 & 2, place everything except the lemon juice and dill in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 2-4 hours before continuing on with step 4.
Option: Start by cooking 4 strips bacon, use the bacon grease instead of the oil and add the cooked bacon to the soup!
Option: Replace the beef short ribs with pork ribs for a different flavour!
Option: Add 1+ tablespoons brown sugar to add sweetness!
Option: Roast the beets, peel and dice them rather than simmer them.
Option: Shred the veggies instead of dicing them for a different texture!
Nutrition Facts Provided by Napier West