When I was at the market I saw some nice looking local apricots and I remembered seeing this really good looking dish. I noticed a problem almost immediately. The recipe was in mass rather than volume… I found a site that had conversions for standard ingredients and came up with what follows. Overall it turned out pretty good. On the down side, the crust seemed a bit heavy… On the up side the apricots tasted amazing. They added a really nice tartness. I really liked the way that the syrup was infused with the apricot flavour. Vanilla ice cream added a nice creaminess.
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup butter (chilled & grated)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 apricots (cut into halves)
- Mix the flour, salt and butter with your fingers in a bowl.
- Add the egg and water and mix with your fingers until it forms a ball of dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and place chill for 30 minutes.
- Place the apricot halves face down in a baking dish.
- Bake in a pre-heated 400F/200C oven for 15 minutes.
- Melt the sugar in a pan.
- Add the butter and cook until caramelized.
- Pour the syrup over the apricots and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough out and form it to fit in your pan.
- Place the dough on top of the apricots.
- Bake for another 30 minutes.
Golden Beet Tatin with Goat Cheese