Not too long ago I did a grilled asparagus and halloumi salad and I particularly enjoyed the combo and I wanted to use it again. I often like to do salads that have a base of a whole grain, a bean and a seasonal ingredient and this time I was thinking that a whole grain salad with the grilled asparagus and halloumi would be the perfect fit. It had been a while since I last used farro so I decided to go with that for the whole grain and chickpeas seemed like the natural fit. I always like to include a fresh herb and I was thinking that a combination of dill and mint would hit the spot. Next up was the dressing and I was thinking that a honey dijon vinaigrette would help keep things nice and bright and summery.
Asparagus, Halloumi and Chickpea Farro Salad
A summery whole grain salad with asparagus, grilled halloumi, chickpeas, a bunch of fresh herbs and a lemony vinaigrette.
- 1 cup farro
- 4 ounces halloumi, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 pound asparagus, blanched and cut into small pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked beans, from 1/2 cup dry)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup honey dijon vinaigrette
- Cook the farro as directed on the package.
- Brush the grill (or grill pan) with oil and heat to medium-high heat.
- Grill the halloumi cheese until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side, let cool and dice.
- Mix everything and enjoy.