I have been meaning to try kimchi for a while now.
is a Korean dish of fermented vegetables. Kimchi is typically seasoned with chili peppers and is usually hot. I had seen some cabbage kimchi at a local asian grocery store but I had been wondering what I could do with it. I came across a dish call buta kimchi donburi or pork and kimchi rice bowl
. Buta kimchi donburi is a Japanese dish that uses the Korean kimchi. This dish was tasty and really showed off the flavour and spiciness of the kimchi. I really enjoed the kimchi and I will be looking for more ways of using it.
Buta Kimchi Donburi
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (grated)
- 1 serving pork (thinly sliced, I used a 1/8 inch pork chop, sliced into 1/2 inch strips)
- 1/4 cup kimchi
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sake
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 serving cooked japanese rice
- 1 green onion (sliced, optional)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onion and saute until it is translucent.
- Add the ginger and saute until it is fragrant.
- Add the pork and saute until the pork is no longer pink.
- Add the kimchi, soy sauce, sake and sugar and simmer for a few minutes.
- Place the pork and kimchi on the rice in a bowl and top with the green onion.