My theory is that most vegetables taste better when roasted. When I saw Tyler Florence making candied carrots I knew that I would be testing my theory with carrots next. The carrots are roasted in the oven and then covered in a butter, brown sugar, orange and cumin sauce. I was also interested in this dish because I wanted to see how the cumin worked in a sweet dish. The aroma of the orange and cumin was really amazing. The oven roasted carrots were pretty good by themselves but they were really good when covered in the orange and cumin sauce. The oven roasted vegetables theory lives on. What vegetable will I roast next?
- 1 bunch young carrots (peeled but with tops)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter (unsalted)
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- juice from 1/2 orange
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon cumin (toasted and ground)
- Toss the carrots in the oil to coat.
- Place the carrots in a baking dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the carrots in a preheated 350F/180C oven until fork tender, about 30-45 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan and heat until it just turns brown.
- Add the brown sugar, orange juice, zest and cumin and simmer until it thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Place the carrots on a serving dish and pour the sauce over them.
Maple Glazed Carrots with Dill