Gorgonzola is one of my favorite cheeses and when I came across this recipe for Roasted Onion and Goronzola Soup I knew that I would have to try it. This weekend I finally got the chance to. I decided to slowly caramelize the onions at low heat as if I was making a French onion soup so that it would intensify onion flavour. This soup was really good. The saltiness of the cheese went well with the sweetness of the caramelized onions. I never would have thought to garnish the soup with caramelized pear and crumbled bacon but they went really well with the soup.
Caramelized Onion and Gorgonzola Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound onions (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 3 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 2 small baking potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces gorgonozla (crumbled)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pear (peeled, sliced)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 oz bacon, fried and crumbled
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan.
- Add the onions and cook on low heat until brown and caramelized, about 1-3 hours.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boils.
- Add the potatoes and simmer until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Add the cream and gorgonzola cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Puree the soup with a blender.
- Melt the butter in a clean pan.
- Add the pear and sprinkle the sugar on.
- Saute the pears until golden brown and caramelized.
- Cook the bacon until crispy.
- Serve the soup with the pear and crumbled bacon as garnish.
Pistachio and Gorgonzola Risotto
What wonderful soup!!! I love caramelized onions,and i use a lot. And I love too all kind of blue cheeses
Peter M says
Great find Kevin. All the flavours that I like are there. I just so happen to have some gorgonzola left in my fridge.
Well, I throw bacon onto everything 🙂
Glad that you were brave and tried it with the pear and bacon garnish…a lot of people leave that out.
Wow, that looks good, Kevin. Caramelized onions are da bomb! And it’s definitely soup season. Brrr!
I remember seeing this on Peabody’s site. Now I really want to try it!
Your timing is perfect Kevin… I’m looking for something light and warm for dinner tonight, and I have all of the required ingredients in my kitchen. Will let you know how it turns out for me.
That looks delicious- I love gorgonzola but I never thought of having it in a soup. I can only imagine how good it can be with extra bacon and pears
Proud Italian Cook says
Onions,bacon, cheese and pears, Oh My!!!!!! Of course it must have been good!!
This looks so good, I can’t wait to make it!
[email protected] says
Looks delicious!! Gorgonzola is one of my favourites too – love it with pasta mmmmm!!!
I've just stumbled across your site and LOVE IT. I make a lot of soups and this has jumped to my #1 Favourite Soup. My only disappointment was that it only made 4 bowls. I'll totally double the recipe next time. Caramelizing the pears was TOTALLY WORTH IT! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I can't wait for another cold day to make it again.
If anyone is curious I figured out the calories in this soup (using the ingredients as laid out) and it's 545 calories per bowl assuming you get four portions out of this recipe.