Pumpkin season is here and I certainly have been enjoying them so far. This weekend I picked up a small pie pumpkin and I was thinking of using it in a salad. Normally I would cut the pumpkin up into bite sized pieces and roast it up, but this time I was thinking about something different. I envisioned slicing the pumpkin into wedges and roasting the wedges in the oven until they started to caramelize. I could just imagine how those wedges would look on a bed of salad greens! But, a salad is not made from just roasted pumpkin and salad greens alone and I still had some flavours to add to finish things off. I figured that some nice and creamy gorgonzola cheese would go well with the sweet roasted pumpkin and some toasted chopped walnuts seemed to go hand in hand. I could not resist frying up some sage in butter until it turned amazingly crispy and good. A balsamic vinaigrette seemed like the perfect dressing to finish the salad off!
Caramelized Pumpkin and Gorgonzola Salad
- 1 (3 pound) pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons sage (julienned)
- 4 cups salad greens such as baby arugula or baby spincah
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup walnuts (toasted and coarsly chopped)
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola (crumbled)
- Roast the pumpkin in a preheated 350F/180C oven on a baking sheet for 20 minutes.
- Cut the pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and cut each half into 4 wedges.
- Brush the wedges with oil, place them on their side on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Brush the pumpkin flesh with the honey and season with salt and pepper.
- Broil the wedges, flesh side up until it startes to caramelize, about 2-3 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the sage and fry until it is light and crispy then set it aside.
- Toss the salad greens in the vinaigrette and divide between 4 plates.
- Add 2 wedges of caramelized pumpkin to each plate and sprinkle with walnuts, gorgonzola and fried sage.
Roasted Butternut Squash with Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola and Crispy Fried Sage
Pear Salad with and Bacon, Gorgonzola and Candied Walnuts
Pumpkin and Cream Cheese Ravioli in Sage and Butter Sauce
Golden Beet Tatin with Goat Cheese
Roasted Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Salad
Festive Roast Pumpkin Salad
Roasted Pumpkin Quiche with Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola and Sage