They had some really nice looking mango’s on sale at the grocery store on the weekend. I had been enjoying them as snacks all week but I realized that I would not be able to finish them soon enough. I needed to use them quicker. I had just tried some mango chutney and really liked it so I thought that a mango curry would be interesting. This is a variation of my standard curry recipe. (I forgot to pickup some plain yogurt and ended up using the peach yogurt that I had on hand.) It turned out a little too sweet but pretty good. The heat from the peppers and the curry spice helped to balance out the sweetness.
Chicken and Mango Curry
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound chicken (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 thumb ginger (grated)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (chopped)
- 1 green chili pepper (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 mango (pureed)
- 3 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 mango (diced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Brown the chicken and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the same pan.
- Add the onions and red pepper and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger and Jalapeno pepper, green chili pepper and flour and stir.
- Add the curry powder and let cook for a few minutes.
- Add the tomato, chicken stock, pureed mango and yogurt and bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the mango and cilantro and remove from the heat.
Curried Mango Bread