One of my favorite sandwiches is a Croque Monsieur (a fancy ham and cheese sandwich). Recently I have been craving a croque monsieur sandwich and I remembered seeing Tyler make a grilled cheese sandwich with apple slices on Tylers Ultimate. I had been enjoying the local pears which are in season and I though that crouque monsieur sandwich with smoked turkey and pear would make a tasty sandwich. The sandwich was pretty good though the pear flavour was a little subtle. The next time I make this I might double up on the layers of pear or even caramelize the pear slices in some butter and sugar first.
Croque Monsieur with Pear and Smoked Turkey
- 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano (grated)
- 1/2 cup gruyere (grated)
- 1/4 cup Bechamel Sauce
- 2 slices bread
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3 slices smoked turkey
- 3 slices pear
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt half of the Gruyère and all of the parmigiano-reggiano into the Bechamel sauce.
- Toast the bread.
- Spread the mustard on one slice of bread.
- Place the turkey slices, the pear slices and about half of the remaining Gruyère cheese. Top with the other toasted bread slice.
- Spoon the Bechamel sauce onto the top of the sandwich.
- Sprinkle with the remaining Gruyère cheese.
- Place on a broiling pan and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler and broil for an additional 5 minutes. (Until the cheese topping is bubbly and lightly browned.)
Are you kidding me? Besciamella on a grilled cheese sandwich?
Kevin, Kevin, Kevin, what have you done? (me like) I’ll take 2 to go 🙂
I love Croque Monsieur too! The first time I had this was in France and it is still the best I tasted around.
Oh my, what a delicious looking Sarnie! I could go for one right now and it’s only quarter past five in the morning!
Margot at Coffee & Vanilla says
What a great idea! I love cheese and apple sandwich, never tried with pears yet…
Wow…this sounds absolutely amazing! Definately going to try this one. 🙂
Omgoodness… these are SO good!! Ina Garten made these on one of her show and I was salvating the entire time. 🙂
I think you have a winner! Subtle pear is okay… It would take a bit to stand up to the wonderful sauce!
WOW. I want to steal those burnt crispy bits hanging off the edge. Oddly enough, that is always my favorite part of making grilled cheese sandwiches. Such a great combination – the turkey, cheese and pears – but I would never think to put them in a sandwich. Brilliant job.
K & S says
adding pear sounds delicious, will have to try this sometime!
try a croque madame. my favourite brioche bread for it is from a portugese bakery on dundas st oddly enough. but layer on the bechamel, paris ham, swiss a couple times and then top it off with a yolky fried egg… amazing breakfast.
Congrats on winning the sarnie competition! I love the look of your croque monsieur. Caramelizing the pears sounds like a delicious idea!