Local blueberries are now in season here in Ontario. I have been wanting to do french toast and I had some cream cheese on hand so I tried throwing them all together. It was pretty good. There was a really nice compliment of flavours and textures. The french toast was nice and crisp, the cheese was creamy and the blueberries were juicy. It was a good start to blueberry season.
French Toast Stuffed with Blueberries and Cream Cheese
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 handful blueberries
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- a touch cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Spread the cream cheese on both slices of bread.
- Place the blueberries in the cream cheese on one slice of bread.
- Form a sandwich with the the blueberries in the middle.
- Mix the egg, milk, cinnamon and vanilla in a shallow pan.
- Dip the sandwich into the egg mixture and cover both sides with it.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Fry both sides of the sandwich in the pan until golden brown.
- Top with the maple syrup.
That is just sheer indulgence! I won’t be showing Graham though, as we have a standing argument about whether french toast should be made with salt or sugar and I am in the salt camp! But, I would make an exception for this!
Peter M says
Kevin, great minds think alike…I made french toast this morning too!
I LOVE stuffed french toast! This looks wonderful… 🙂
I’m with them!!! This looks like a droolworthy recipe. Blueberries are one of my favourites.
I know what I am making for breakfast tomorrow morning now. This looks great!
Inner Health and Wealth A.E. ~ No YoYo says
Have you done roti John, a singaporean dish.
Awwwww… You didn't have these with your blueberry maple syrup?! That will be what I'm having when I make them!! 😀
I made it this morning! and It was great!!! Thanks, Kevin!!! 🙂
the pics of your food look absolutely amazing! i'm trying to get more fruits, veg, & protein in my diet these days & this is the perfect recipe using berries, which i normally never eat. and it's super simple. i will be trying this asap.