Continuing with the kabocha theme this week I had kabocha miso soup for breakfast each morning. The kabocha was simmered in the dashi until tender. It was pretty good and I tried it in a number of ways. I tried swapping the spinach out for wakame. I also tried adding a spoonful of kabocha pumpkin puree to the soup to add some oven roasted flavour.
Kabocha and Spinach Miso Soup
- 1 cup dashi
- 1 slice kabocha (1/2 inch thick, cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 tablespoon miso (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- Bring the dashi and kabocha to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the kabocha is tender.
- Remove from heat and add the spinach.
- Dissolve the miso with some of the heated dashi in a separate bowl. (We do not want to boil the miso as it will not taste as good.)
- Add the miso back to the soup.
- Pour the soup into a bowl and top with green onion.
Kale, Butternut Squash and Mushroom Miso Soup