A while ago I was looking for recipes with rapini (otherwise known as broccoli rabe) and I came across this one for “Orecchiette with Italian Sausage and Rapini” that sounded good. The recipe contains the rapini which I wanted to use, Italian sausage which I really like and orecchiette pasta which looked interesting. The recipe sat in my “to try” list for a while. The other day I came across some orecchiette at the grocery store and it reminded me of this recipe. It was pretty good and it was easy to make. The rapini was a bit bitter but it went well with the spiciness of the Italian sausage and the parmigiano reggiano.
Orecchiette with Italian Sausage and Rapini
- 1/2 bunch rapini (trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces)
- 2 Italian sausage (casings removed, crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 servings pasta (cooked) (gluten free for gluten free)
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmigiano reggiano (grated)
- Boil the rapini in water for 1 minute, drain and set aside.
- Saute the sausage in a pan until cooked.
- Clear some space in the pan and add the oil, garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan.,
- Add the rapini, pasta, salt and pepper and heat for a few minutes.