Peas are a vegetable that freezes really well so you have access to good peas year round. Frozen peas are great for throwing into dishes like soups and stews for some colour and flavour. They are also good by themselves as a quick side dish. I enjoyed this version of peas with pancetta and caramelized shallots. The saltiness of the pancetta pairs well with the sweetness of the peas.
Peas with Pancetta and Shallots
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 ounces pancetta (cut into small pieces, or bacon)
- 2 shallots (chopped, or an onion)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 pound peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- parmigiano reggiano to taste (grated, optional)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the pancetta and shallots and saute until the pancetta is just crispy and the shallots are nice and caramelized, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the peas and saute until warm, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parmigiano reggiano.