I got a bunch of pumpkins from the farmers market while they had them and I still had three of them. I was looking through my bookmarks for pumpkin recipes when I came across this one and this one for pumpkin rolls. I had bookmarked the pumpkin roll cake because it look really good and I wanted to try baking a rolled cake. I did not know what a jelly roll pan was but it turned out that the baking dish that I had been using as a general purpose baking sheet was a jelly roll pan. It was much much bigger that the 11×15 that the recipe called for so I only used one end of the pan. The cake came out of the pan easily after baking. It was thicker on one end than the other but it rolled up without breaking. In the end it turned out pretty good. The cake was really moist and the filling was nice and creamy. The pumpkin and spices both smelled and tasted good. The next time I make a pumpkin cake roll I think I will add some pecans. I have a feeling that this cake will disappear very soon. I imagine that a banana cake roll would also be really nice. Or maybe a banana and chocolate cake roll, or a lemon cake roll, or…
Pumpkin Cake Roll
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl
- Beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl until well mixed.
- Beat in the pumpkin puree until well mixed.
- Mix the flour and egg mixtures.
- Pour the mixture into a 10×15 jelly roll pan that is lined with parchment paper and greased and floured.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the center springs back when pressed, about 15 minutes.
- Turn the cake onto a kitchen towel sprinkled with the icing sugar.
- Roll the cake in the towel and let cool completely.
- Mix the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl.
- Roll out the cake and spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake.
- Roll the cake up again and wrap in plastic wrap until ready to serve.
Oh Kevin! That looks marvelous! I think that would be perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning, and some steamed milk in the afternoon, and……anytime!
Bellini Valli says
You go Kevin!! can’t wait to see your banana chocolate roll!!!
javagirlkt's cookin' says
MMM! This looks wonderful and moist and delicious. Pumpkin ANYTHING with cream cheese icing is fabulous.
Patricia Scarpin says
Kevin, this is luscious!!The idea of adding nuts sounds fabulous to me. And if you do make the lemon roll, let me know so I can give you my address. 😉
I’m so glad you tried a pumpkin cake roll! They are one of my favorite desserts, and now I am craving one!!
Hey, nicely done. Rolls can be a little tricky. Good to see pumpkin back on the menu.
I was thinking it would be great for breakfast too . . . I might just cook this up while the fam’s here for Christmas!
oh kevin! what a great idea; pumpkin cake roll..looks really yummy specially the last picture.. i just love it
Kevin, I love pumpkin cake rolls! I would never attempt one with homemade puree though! You are so brave.
holy crap this looks AMAZING! can’t wait to make this in the fall!!!
OTA Mom says
I make this and add orange zest to the filling, give it a try!
Kevin, this is delicious. I have had lots of other cake rolls; not this good, by far! Can't wait to try your other recipes. Thanks so much for posting.